Love your small home or apartment, but feeling a bit closed in? There are a myriad of ways to make your small rooms look bigger. Here are some of our favourite tips from the experts:
- Go with fabrics and area rugs with small prints or plain colours, says Stylecaster. Unified colours will visually expand a small room. (Check out these great tips from Vifloor if you’re wondering about the ideal size of your area rug.)
- Area rugs can also be used to separate one room into smaller spaces, says Buzzfeed. Ideal for a studio apartment, this creates the appearance of having multiple spaces in one larger room.
- Use lighter coloured paint. While dark paint colours create a feeling of comfort, they often give the illusion of less space, according to Woman’s Day. Light colours reflect and multiply light rather than absorb it.
- Keeping your floor as clear as possible will make your room instantly feel more open, says Expert Home Tips. Utilizing sofas and television stands with legs and using glass-topped coffee tables will allow light to be filtered through the to the floor – and will help show off a new carpet!
- Keep your windows free and clear. Again, the brightness factor comes into play, and windows draw the eye upward. Organize your furniture so that it highlights your windows, according to this article from Huffington Post.
- Mirrors are a quick and easy solution. They not only create the illusion of depth but also reflect light and bounce it deep into the room, says Freshome, who also suggests placing a mirror near a window to reflect the outdoors.
- Use multi-function furniture. It could be as simple as using an ottoman with built-in storage to tuck away books and blankets or using an extendable dining table that takes up less space when guests aren’t over, according to the nest.