Have you ever wondered what size your area rug should be? Here are some helpful tips from the experts at Vifloor.
- If you have a big space, like a living room with furniture floating in the centre, your rug should be big enough so that the furniture fits completely on top. It’s best to see approximately 18” of carpet from the back of all the furniture pieces so it doesn’t feel cramped.
- If you have placed furniture along a wall, have the front two legs of each piece sit on the area rug.
- If you have a small living room, define the seating area and use an area rug under the coffee table. Have approximately 18” of floor separate the furniture and the outer edge of the carpet.
- For a dining area, table and chairs should be on the rug. Remember, you need at least 24” beyond each side of the table so that the dining chairs stay on the rug when pushed back.
- The kitchen has some options. If your kitchen area is high traffic, you may want to go with a small rug just in front of the sink area. If you have a centre island or a galley kitchen, have a runner that extends the length of the kitchen. This is a great way to give some padding under your feet and fill up the space.
- For bedrooms, we have two favourites:
- Frame the bed area by laying an area rug that extends approximately 36” all around the bed. The rug should also be in front of your side tables. If you are pressed for space, you can extend it just on the sides and leave the foot of the bed on the floor. For a queen bed, a standard size is 8’x10,’ a king would be 9’x12’.
- Runners are a great alternative to use on either side or along the foot of the bed. Even if you have wall-to-wall carpet, you can still use runners do add a design element or a punch of colour.